NEW DELHI: Pakistan are set to drop senior players Babar Azam and Shaheen Shah Afridi for their next ICC T20 World Cup match against Namibia after the duo failed to deliver in the high stakes clash against India in Colombo. A reliable source in the team management confirmed the development to PTI on Monday.

The source said Mohsin Naqvi, Chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board, conveyed his displeasure over the 61-run loss to India to team manager Naved Akram Cheema.

"The Chairman left the match early at the Premadasa stadium as it became obvious Pakistan were going to face another defeat to India," the source said.

He added that Naqvi, through a senior PCB official, also told the manager that such performances in big matches were neither understandable nor acceptable.

The source said head coach Mike Hesson also addressed the players in the dressing room and reminded them that they had not played to their full potential.

Management plans bold changes for Namibia clash

"Late night the management think tank decided enough was enough and it was to bench Babar and Shaheen and try out Salman Mirza/Naseem Shah and Fakhar Zaman against Namibia on Wednesday," he said.

The source further revealed that if these changes work in Pakistan’s favour, it could mean the end of the World Cup campaign for Babar and Shaheen, with the management also keen to test young Khawaja Nafay in the middle order.

Pakistan cannot afford another slip up against Namibia if they want to qualify for the Super Eight stage. The team had earlier beaten lower ranked USA and the Netherlands before suffering the heavy defeat to India.

(With PTI Inputs)