Rohit Sharma was included in India's ODI squad for the upcoming home series against Afghanistan, but his selection was contingent on his fitness. The former Indian captain has been struggling with injuries and fitness issues in the ongoing IPL 2026, reportedly leaving the BCCI concerned about his fitness ahead of the ICC World Cup 2027.
Rohit Sharma turned 39 earlier this month and will be 41 when he plays the next ODI World Cup in October 2027 in South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Namibia. Having retired from Tests and T20Is, the veteran opener visibly worked on his fitness to focus on ODIs, and seemed fully fit before the start of the IPL 2026. But that didn't last long.
Rohit suffered a hamstring injury during Mumbai Indians' match against RCB at Wankhede on April 13, and then missed three weeks on the sidelines. He returned to action on May 4, scoring a quickfire fifty against LSG, but didn't take the field. Playing only as an impact player, Rohit's struggles were evident as he failed to score freely in the last three games, raising concerns for the BCCI, which is monitoring his fitness before the 2027 World Cup.
According to a report from TOI, the BCCI has been wondering if Rohit Sharma could field 50 overs in ODIs, as there is no impact player option like IPL. BCCI is also aware of Rohit Sharma's rising fitness issues as he grows older.
“Rohit didn’t report to the BCCI’s Centre of Excellence (CoE) for those three weeks," a BCCI source told TOI. "He has become lean, but there are concerns about his body being able to take the load of high-performance sport. He has to field for 50 overs. ODI cricket doesn’t have the option of an Impact Player like IPL. Body takes time to heal when you are so close to turning 40.”
Rohit Sharma was part of India's last ODI squad against New Zealand earlier this year. He scored 61 runs in three innings at a strike rate of 76.25, raising questions about his form.
Also read: KKR dominate MI in must-win clash to keep IPL 2026 playoff hopes alive
BCCI worried about Hardik Pandya's fitness: Report
Hardik Pandya was also part of India's ODI squad announced on May 19. The star all-rounder returned to the ODI setup for the first time since India's triumph at the ICC Champions Trophy in March last year. However, like Rohit Sharma, Hardik's availability was also subject to fitness.
Mumbai Indians skipper has struggled with both form and fitness in the IPL 2026, scoring just 134 runs in nine innings at a strike rate of 128.35, and picking up just 4 wickets at an economy rate of almost 12. He missed three games due to a back spasm, raising concerns for the selectors ahead of the 2027 World Cup.
“Hardik was not communicated about fitness concerns till 48 hours before the selection meeting. He hasn’t played for Mumbai Indians since May 2. He complained of back spasms after the game in Chennai but he hasn’t played since. He has been reportedly training at the Reliance’s facility and at Wankhede stadium. While he has rejoined the team, it is not ascertained how he needs to prove his fitness. The selectors are only worried about him not bowling 10 overs,” the source told TOI.
Hardik's performances in ODIs also weaken his case for the 2027 World Cup, having scored just one 30-plus knock since the conclusion of the 2023 World Cup in India. With the ball, Hardik has taken just eight wickets in his last 10 innings in 50-over cricket.